Children are aware of the events happening in the present unsettling world climate. They are bombarded with images of war, crime and violence daily as they watch television and movies, and browse the internet. Students may have difficulty expressing their fears and concerns, and dealing with the conflict in their daily life.
It is the responsibility of every classroom teacher to:
- provide a peaceful, happy classroom situation where students are aware of their rights and responsibilities,
- allow opportunities for communication skills to develop,
- encourage correct social behaviour skills,
- reinforce cooperation and team-building skills,
- act as a role model, negotiator and mediator to resolve conflicts.